Bay View Library has laptop computers for public use in the library thanks to the
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Award 55-42B10549.
Bay View Library, located at 2566 S. Kinnickinnic Ave.,
opened in October 1993. The library, which is is 15,000 sq. feet on
a lot of 25, 632 sq. feet, replaced the Llewellyn Library which was
at 907 E. Russell since 1914.
Extensive use of glass in the modern building creates an open, bright
environment. It is contemporary with a dramatic, canted arched window
at the south end; large bands of windows on the west and east walls;
and a high, vaulted ceiling. Under the Milwaukee Arts Board's Percentage
for Art program, artist Peter Flanary created three mosaic maps
in the linoleum floor of the lobby, one representing Bay View at
the time of settlement in 1832; another from 1900, when a steel
mill on the lakefront spurred the community's growth; the third showing
the area as it is today. There is a meeting room which accommodates
up to 75 people.
Bay View Library staff takes pride in serving people of all ages.
Preschool storytime and adult computer use classes are offered on
a regular basis. There is an area designed specifically for teens.
The print collection is especially strong in children's picture books
and adult fiction. Access to the Internet, computers for personal
use (word processing, typing, spreadsheets), and a growing number
of electronic databases offering information and access to holdings
throughout the world are also available.
"This building is worth a visit just to see."
-- Christopher Gawronski,
Library Branch Manager