Washington Park Library has laptop computers for public use in the library and a computer trainer (bilingual - Spanish) assigned to provide customer assistance, thanks to the
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Award 55-42B10549.
The new Washington Park Library replaced Finney Library (4243 W. North
Ave.) which was built in 1953. Washington Park Library officially
opened Saturday, April 12, 2003. The new library, at 20,000-square-feet,
is the City of Milwaukee's largest neighborhood library. Named for
the park it borders, the library offers improved service to its customers,
including additional computers for public use and a computer lab;
excellent community meeting space (meeting rooms); a larger area for
children and young adults; an expanded collection of books, videos,
CDs and DVDs;
and allows the library to expand its outstanding adult tutoring program.
The bronze statue of Baron Frederick von Steuben which stands outside
the library was commissioned in 1921 by the Steuben Society to commemorate
the German hero of the American Revolutionary War. Over the years
the statue, sculpted by Swiss-born artist J. Otto Schweizer, has become
a Washington Park landmark.
Come and see the Milwaukee Public Library System's
largest neighborhood library.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
-- Daniel Kentowski,
Library Branch Manager