The Milwaukee Public Library and Milwaukee Public Museum jointly occupied 814 W. Wisconsin Avenue for about 70 years. These historic photographs highlight the Museum spaces from those years.
Gallery images courtesy of Milwaukee Public Museum.
The Lion that Came to Live in the Library
In 1928 the Milwaukee Public Museum undertook the Cudahy-Massee Expedition to Africa to gather specimens for the museum’s collection. While there they adopted an orphan lion cub, named him Simba and brought him back to Milwaukee when the expedition ended in 1929. Simba lived on the Library-Museum building’s roof for a time until he broke a tooth and was transferred to the Washington Park Zoo. This footage shows him as a young cub in Africa with Samuel Barrett, director of the Museum and also on the roof of the Library-Museum building playing with travel lecturer and safari leader Carveth Wells. Simba is now part of the Savanna Bush African diorama on the Museum’s third floor, east wing.