Library Rules of Conduct
The Board of Trustees of the Milwaukee Public Library and Staff are committed to providing the best possible customer service in an open and inviting atmosphere and the Library Code of Conduct is designed to ensure this atmosphere is maintained at all times.
Violations of the Milwaukee Public Library Code of Conduct may result in the expulsion of individuals from library premises and/or criminal prosecution.
In keeping with the City’s commitment to customer service and the provision of a safe and inviting atmosphere, the following guidelines are set forth to define those activities that are inappropriate for our users and prohibited. Library staff will enforce these guidelines in a consistent and impartial manner.
The following behaviors, conduct and activities are expressly prohibited:
- eating, drinking or smoking
- sleeping or socializing
- loitering or interfering with free passage
- behaving in a disorderly, boisterous or loud manner
- panhandling or soliciting
- using cell phones in non-designated areas
- using audio or personal equipment that disturbs others or interferes with library service
- carrying, consuming, and/or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- damaging, defacing, destroying, or stealing library property
- violating computer use policies
- using library restroom facilities for inappropriate purposes such as loitering, bathing, etc.
- skateboarding, rollerblading, etc.
- harassing or threatening another person
- poor hygiene that is offensive to other persons
- entering with concealed or openly visible firearms or other dangerous weapons with the exception of those carried by authorized law enforcement. Anyone who disregards these regulations is subject to removal from the library and/or restriction of library privileges.
From the Library Code of Conduct
approved by the Board of Trustees
Milwaukee Public Library