Milwaukee Public Libraries introduces SAM
- the Smart Access Manager. SAM allows customers to sign in themselves
for library computer use for Internet access, word processing and other
applications simply by using their library card.
Sign on with SAM
- Customers can register with SAM to use computers for Internet access,
word processing and other library applications.
- City residents and those in all communities that are part of the
Milwaukee County Federated Library System can use their library card
to register for computer access. Other visitors can sign up for a visitor
Keep track of time with SAM
- The number of computer sessions, time limit per session, and over-all
daily computer time varies from library to library. Computer use is
limited due to high demand and to provide equal access to everyone.
- There is a special lock feature with SAM that allows a patron to lock
a computer to step away for a moment. Session time continues to count
down while the patron is away from the computer.
Make a reservation with SAM
- The computer sign-in system allows customers to reserve time on selected
computers at City of Milwaukee Public Libraries in advance. The sign-in
system eliminates the need to wait in line to sign in with staff.
- Walk-up customers can sign in to use any computer up until the time
of a reservation. Computers designed for "catalog use only"
do not require sign-in.
Library card holders with a problem that prevents
checkout of materials (expired cards, fines exceeding $5, etc.) will
be blocked from using library computers until the problem has been