The Mystery of Milwaukee Feeds and Supplies the World
"Milwaukee Feeds and Supplies the World" was first used as a slogan in 1898. It first appeared as an illustration on the cover of The Book of Milwaukee: Development, Resources, Enterprise and Beauty of the Peerless Cream City, a civic boosterism book published by The Evening Wisconsin in 1901. The afternoon daily was Milwaukee’s highest circulating newspaper in the early 1900s.
The illustration was revived as a popular poster reproduction by the City of Milwaukee Department of City Development (DCD) in the 1980s.
The Milwaukee Public Library is periodically asked who was the illustrator and lithographer of the illustration. Unfortunately, no answer has surfaced in our sources or those of the City of Milwaukee Legislative Reference Bureau, Milwaukee County Historical Society or Wisconsin Historical Society.
The 1901 city directory lists the following possible lithographers: American Fine Art Co., Beck & Pauli Lithographing Co., Greve Lithographing Co., The Gugler Lithographic Co., J. Knauber Lithographing Co., Milwaukee Lithographing & Engraving Co., Northwestern Lithographing Co., Riverside Printing Co., Wilmanns Bros. and Wisconsin Bank Note & Lithographing Co.
If anyone knows who was the illustrator or lithographer, and can verify it, let us know.
Daniel Striped Tiger @ Central
(Dan, Local History Librarian)