Milwaukee Public Library has extensive print and microfilm holdings of historic Milwaukee newspapers, from the major daily newspapers to local minority and ethnic press publications.
Microfilm of the Milwaukee Sentinel (1837-1995), the Milwaukee Journal (1882-1995), and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (1995-present) is available for use in the Periodicals Department at Central Library.
- Milwaukee Sentinel (1837-1995)
- Milwaukee Sentinel (1837-1841)
- Milwaukie Sentinel (1842-1844)
- Daily Sentinel (1844)
- Milwaukie Daily Sentinel (1844-1845)
- Daily Sentinel and Gazette (1846-1848)
- Milwaukee Sentinel and Gazette (1848-1850)
- Milwaukee Daily Sentinel and Gazette (1850-1851)
- Milwaukee Daily Sentinel (1851-1861)
- Daily People's Press (1860)
- Daily People's Press and News (1861-1862)
- Daily Milwaukee Press and News (1861)
- Milwaukee Morning Sentinel (1861-1862)
- Daily Milwaukee News (1861-1874)
- Milwaukee Daily Sentinel (1862-1870)
- Milwaukee Sentinel (1870-1873)
- Milwaukee Daily Sentinel (1873-1882)
- Milwaukee Daily News (1874-1881)
- Daily Republican and News (1881-1882)
- Daily Republican-Sentinel (1882)
- Milwaukee Sentinel (1883-1995)
- Milwaukee Journal (1882-1995)
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (1995-present)
The following resources offer indexing or full-text searching for some years of Milwaukee's major daily newspapers and other Wisconsin newspapers, as indicated.
- Milwaukee History Clipping Index (1930s-1980s)
- This subject listing of people, places, events, etc. represents newspaper articles “clipped” from Milwaukee area newspapers from the 1930s to the 1980s, primarily The Milwaukee Journal and Milwaukee Sentinel newspapers.
- Milwaukee Sentinel Card Catalog Index (1837-1890)
- Milwaukee Newspaper Digest (1880-1881)
- The Milwaukee Journal Newspaper Index (1915-1917)
- 071.7595 M6675
- Located at Frank P. Zeidler Humanities Room reference desk. Indexes articles, obituaries and death notices.
- Newspaper Index: The Milwaukee Journal (1976)
- 071.7595 M662
- An index to The Milwaukee Journal newspaper for January-December 1976 only.
- Milwaukee Journal State/Regional News Index (1979-1980)
- 071.7595 M668
- An index to state and regional news articles in The Milwaukee Journal newspaper covering January 1979 to December 1980.
Online Databases and Websites
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers, from Gale, provides access to historic primary source newspapers, featuring full content and images from numerous urban and rural publications throughout the U.S. Wisconsin newspapers are well represented, including significant runs of The Milwaukee Journal, Milwaukee Sentinel, and Wisconsin State Journal.
- Library subscription database. Available for use within MPL libraries and for remote use by City of Milwaukee library cardholders.
- America's Obituaries and Death Notices
Newspaper genealogy resource from NewsBank with records from more than 3,000 newspapers as far back as 1983, but Chicago Tribune results beginning with 1930.
Library subscription database. Available for use within MPL libraries and for remote use by City of Milwaukee library cardholders.
See also the Obituaries & Death Notices page for information on those newspaper-based genealogy resources.
Search or read the full text of newspapers from all over Wisconsin, including The Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee, The Daily Reporter and Shepherd Express. There is a three month delay on issue availability. Papers in the Journal Communications Group are not included. This resource was formerly called The Wisconsin Newspaper Association Digital Research Site. Historic newspapers include Baraboo News Republic (1858-1886), Evansville Badger (1898-1906), and the Waupun Times (1857-1883).
Provided as part of Wisconsin's BadgerLink program.
Trying to find an old article from a Milwaukee newspaper? With NewsBank, you can find articles that were published in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (from 1990-present) and other Wisconsin, national and world newspapers.
Milwaukee Ethnic and Minority Newspapers at MPL, 1883-present
Milwaukee German-language Newspapers at MPL, 1845-1991