How to Apply and Eligibility:
MPL AmeriCorps members will help young people develop a love of reading, increase information literacy skills, and establish relationships with youth that bridge the gap between in and out of school learning.
Members are near-peer leaders who will serve in three unique spaces:
- School: facilitate 1-2 information literacy classes per day for students at up to four Milwaukee area schools
- MPL branch: lead after school homework help and run an activity with youth at a local library branch
- Summer: support summer reading and learning throughout the city at community organizations
Conditions of Employment
- Individuals who serve with MPL AmeriCorps must provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (ie. received both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) or have an approved religious or medical accommodation within ten business days of their start date.
- A car is required for this position
- This is a full-time, 11-month national service term (1700 hours total accrued September 2022-July 2023, approximately 40-45 hours per week).
- Have a high school diploma before the start of the service year
- Be at least 18 years old at the start of the service year
- Be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States
- Pass a National Service Criminal History Check
- Valid driver's license, use of an automobile, and current auto insurance
- Experience (or high interest) in education, working with youth, information literacy, and STEM programming
- Undergraduate degree
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ability to relate well to and communicate well with people of various ages and from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Able to work accurately under pressure both independently and in a team-based environment
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point and Publisher)
- Comfortable with data collection and ongoing tracking of information
- Uses successful organization and time management strategies
- Desire to be of service to others
Members will get a living stipend of $20,000 for the service term, paid biweekly in equal installments.
In addition to receiving your AmeriCorps living stipend, members have access to many benefits including:
- Health insurance
- Mileage reimbursement
- Cell phone stipend
- Education award of $6,495.00 upon successful completion of the program
- Certifications in first aid, youth mental health, and food safety
- Life after AmeriCorps training and planning
- Professional skills development
- 10 PAID holidays off
- 10 PAID personal days off
- And more!
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants should expect to hear about next steps within one week of submitting their application.
How to apply