Field Work MKE Presents:
2019 Youth Poetry Contest
March 1-April 15
2019 Youth Poetry Contest Awards and Reading
Celebrate the end of the Poetry Contest with a celebration of poetry, science, and the natural world. Listen to the winning poems in each age category. Coffee, hot chocolate, and snacks will be provided. Poetry Contest winners will be officially announced at the event; however, winners will be contacted ahead of time. Families welcome.
Awards & Poetry Reading, Ages 7-12
Central Library Children’s Room
Saturday, May 11, 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (winners must arrive by 10:30 a.m.)
Awards & Poetry Reading, Ages 13-18
Milwaukee Public Museum | 800 W. Wells St.
Saturday, May 11, 2-2:30 p.m. (winners must arrive by 1 p.m.)
How do you see yourself in the natural world? Answer the question through poetry with help from the Milwaukee Public Library and the Milwaukee Public Museum. Milwaukee youth ages 7-18 are encouraged to submit an original poem to this year’s Poetry Contest online from Friday, March 1-Monday, April 15, 2019.
Prizes will be awarded to the top three in each age category:
- 7-9, 10-12, 13-15, and 16-18
Winners in each category will also receive two free admission passes to the museum.
- 1st place: $50 gift card
- 2nd place: $25 gift card
- 3rd place: $15 gift card
- Must be ages 7-18 to participate in contest.
- Participants must be Milwaukee County residents to be eligible.
- Entries must address the question “How do you see yourself in the natural world?” to be eligible.
- Individuals can only win one prize in contest.
- Entries must be submitted online only.
- All submissions must be original works written by the young person submitting the entry.
- Each individual can only submit one entry.
- Entries may be edited for publication purposes.