Browser’s Book Bash
Central Library Kick-Off Celebration
Saturday, March 2, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Celebrate your love of reading, books and the characters that make them special. The Milwaukee Public Library celebrates our city’s diverse community of readers and the books that Milwaukee loves! Join us on Dr. Seuss’ birthday for music, comedy, literacy activities, animals, art and cookie decorating! Look out, you might just see the Cat in the Hat or Curious George!
Join Browser, the Library Lion, the Cat in the Hat, and Curious George as they “check out” these book-based festivities:
- Get your face painted
- Enjoy singing, dancing and acting out stories
- Hear silly stories in our story nook
- Play Fox in Socks matching games
- Meet animals at Lulu’s animal “rescue”
- Visit Frog and Toad’s Fishing Pond
- Get stylish in Olivia’s Dress Up Corner
- Create book-inspired art with Artists Working in Education
- Decorate a cookie and take it home to eat
Reading Steps Entertainment
- 10-10:45 a.m. Ms. Jen & The Jellyfish
- 11-11:45 a.m. Laugh out loud as Chris Fascione brings children’s stories to life
- 12-12:45 p.m. Ms. Jen & The Jellyfish
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Create your own special journal with writing coach, Rochelle Melander.
Enjoy more book-based fun at these neighborhood branch library reader celebrations!
Feel free to download and print our Browser the Library Lion coloring sheets.
Who is Browser the Library Lion?
Browser was introduced to the city (without a name) at the Grand Avenue Mall on April 20, 1985 for National Library Week and Imagination Celebration, a week-long series of city-wide arts events for children. He was also part of Milwaukee’s City of Festivals parade on June 22, 1985. The sculpted lion was created by local artist Bob Geniusz under the direction of Marjorie Walker, director of Theatre School Ltd.
A naming contest was held during the summer and Browser the Library Lion was selected from several hundred entries. Eight-year-old Kathleen Simeth was the only one to submit the winning name of “Browser the Library Lion.”
Browser was given his first makeover as a live mascot in late 1993. In 2016,
he was given another makeover, and along with that came the idea of officially
celebrating Browser’s Birthday - August 1.
Browser Fun Facts:
- Browser is a born-and-bred Milwaukeean whose best friends include the Cat in the Hat, Curious George, and Billy Bookworm.
- His favorite color is Super Reader Red and he enjoys reading Color Zoo by his good friend Lois Ehlert and Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen.
- Hobbies include reading, going to the library, and bowling, and he loves music, dancing, grand openings and hugs.
- Browser also collects bookmarks of all shapes and sizes - especially homemade bookmarks.